Taking care of senior pets comes with challenges. It can be because your dog is moving slowly. Or it can also be that the eyesight and coordination are not the way they used to be initially. Luckily there are ways you can make your older dog’s moving around more accessible, starting with reading articles that provide you with helpful information.
There are a lot of things that can be done to improve the mobility of the senior dog, and below mentioned are some of the most important ones:
- Investing in pet stairs is a good move. If your dog has balancing problems, pet stairs are a perfect choice. The only thing which is essential and should be kept in mind is that the surface of the stairs should be anti-skid.
- Ramps are a fantastic alternative for dogs who are not comfortable with stairs. Get a ramp with a non-slip surface. Also, check the product details carefully to ensure it supports your dog’s weight. When you plan to use pet stairs and ramps for different parts of the house, ensure that you invest in small, lightweight foldable material to make it convenient for you to move around.
- A few breeds of dogs have difficulty walking on the hard floor. Dog boots that have traction will help avoid the slipperiness problem. Apart from pets, parents also use rugs with non-slippery pads underneath. All this will make the dog’s walk around the house more accessible.
- If your dog has severe mobility issues, it is recommended to keep it in enclosed areas and keep the stairs blocked with dog gates. This will eliminate the chance of your dog falling in elevated places and hurting themselves.
- Last, there are dog strollers. Sometimes you can take your dog for a brisk walk, but getting a four-wheeled stroller is suitable if they can’t keep manage that. Older dogs can enjoy the fresh air. But there can be times when the pet parent does all the walking, and your dog will want the riding part.
So these are some things you can do to plan a more accessible and more straightforward way for your senior dog to move around inside and outside the house. All these suggestions mentioned above are constructive, but there is another thing that can add value and quantity to your dog’s life: Pet insurance NZ. Insurance for senior dogs is highly beneficial because they are more susceptible to accidents. Getting pet insurance with pre-existing conditions can be expensive, but watching your loving dog suffer is more painful. So if you don’t have pet insurance NZ, then it is time for you to get a pet insurance quote. Also, anyone who adopts a senior dog makes a fantastic decision. You can make another decision by looking at a pet insurance quote because your senior pet will need the best medical and health care facilities. It will offer the pet parents a significant amount of peace of mind.